Preview a lesson.
So you like the idea of keeping bees, but...
• Beekeeping requires a time & money commitment
• There's equipment to buy
• And LOTS to learn
• Having a mentor is crucial but how are you supposed to find one that has the time to really help you?
The Good News is
Beekeeping isn't as complicated as it seems.
We'll teach you what you need to know without the confusing jargon.
We used to give in-person beekeeping classes at our farm. We put the classes online, so you can learn at your own pace & watch the videos as many times as you need to.
Because you can't remember it all after seeing it just once!
• Easy to follow video lessons
• Time saving tips
• Monthly check-ins from your mentor through our appretice program
• Access to our student-only Facebook group
• Fun quizzes & find & seek puzzles to test your knowledge & queen spotting skills
I enjoyed watching the lessons and Laryssa was funny and sweet, you could tell she was truly genuine in teaching and wants to help you be successful too. I also enjoyed that in every chapter she would recommend a book, documentary or movie on beekeeping.
Your Bee class is amazing! I’m in the middle of the hive inspection section which is something I desperately needed. I’ve been able to go out and ID the queen, eggs, larva, and pupae! Just being able to do that will improve my keeping drastically.
"We loved the classes. We now have 5 hives and feel comfortable taking care of them."
"The class made me feel comfortable and prepared to keep bees. I can't wait to purchase 2 nucs."
"I really enjoyed your class, it is very informative with relevant information. I like that you didn’t use “fancy or expensive” equipment."
The Topics We'll Cover:
Bees & the Hive
• All about the worker bee
• Her majesty the queen
• The drone's sad story
• Honey & Pollination
• All the products you can harvest from the hive
Equipment & Getting Started
• The Langstroth hive parts
• Pros & cons to the flow hive
• Safety gear
• How much money & time you'll spend
• Finding a location
Checking Your Bees
• How to spot the queen every time
• Preventing getting stung & what to do when you are stung
• Identifying what's inside the hive
• Knowing the age & gender of a baby bee
• Installing bees
• Inspecting a hive
• Lighting a smoker
• The varroa mite and testing mite levels
• What to do when you have an infestation
• Natural pest management techniques
• Small hive beetle & other pests
• How much honey to take
• Harvesting honey using an extractor
• Harvesting honey using kitchen utensils
• Preventing fermentation & our recommended extractors
• Bottling & Labeling
• Preventing swarming
• Splitting hives to increase your apiary
• Troubleshooting guide for common problems
• Overwintering in cold & very cold climates
• Beekeeping in warm climates
Helping Bees Thrive
• Creating a pollinator friendly habitat
• Educating others about bees
• Top 10 beginner mistakes